Cal Selcam’s mission continues as he marches forward towards his destination…
-After six hours of rest I continue my march under the cover of the night. Wisdom roll to notice shadowsnake: 7 total. Partial success. Shadowsnake stats: HP 8, Armor 2, 1d6 damage bite and spit poison: Con roll or blinded.

-Out of the dark waters a large snakelike creature with a pitchblack body and a cobra-like head emerges. The thick snakebody is supported by two muscular legs that help the upper body to stand up while the lower body slithers around on the ground in a snakelike fashion.

-The creature hisses and spits a substance at me, I manage to dodge out of the way while drawing my vibroblade in an attempt to behead the creature. I strike true but at the same time, one of it’s clawed legs slashes at me.

-Cane hits for 5 damage after armor, reducing the creature to 3 points but suffers 4 points of damage himself (8 hp left).

-I press the attack while trying to dodge its head that darts forward and tries to bite me while sporadically spitting some sort of poison. Dex roll: 12 total, lucky me, 4 damage after armor, enough to kill the creature.

-I manage to dodge out of the way and with a precise slash my combat vibroblade cuts the creature’s skull in half. I had only a minor scratch. Lucky for me the creature’s teeth were not covered with poison.

-According to my map it will take me a march of four days to reach the vicinity of the installation. I will handle the march with four encounter checks, one per day including rest with a 50/50 chance: a total of two encounters during the march.

-Encounter 1: scheduled imperial patrol (inspired by two story cubes): On the second day of my march (regenerate 1d6 hp: 1 hp, so back to 9) I hear the distinctive noise of repulsor engines again. The noise draws near. It looks like I have entered the imperial patrol radius. I quickly hide in the underbrush…(Stealth roll with Dexterity: 8 total, partial success).

-I manage to hide quick enough but didn’t have time to pay to close attention to the terrain: I am stuck in a muddy swamphole! Str roll with Athletics to get out: Natural 12! 13 total, lucky me. My advancement rule: A natural 12 means I get to make an advancement roll for the ability used, in this case strength. I have to roll 1d6 and roll over the current value, in this case over 1. If I manage the advancement roll I get to increase the ability by one, get to pick an additional skill and gain +2 hp. I am limited to one advancement roll per session.

-Alright, roll a d6: A 4, success, Strength increases to +2, I get +2 hp and are now at 11 from 17 and for the additional skill I pick Perception.

-Encounter 2: I am attacked by a swarm of large birdlike airborne predators on day 4 at the edge of the forest (6 of them). Stats for the Swarm (act as group): 12 hp, 1d6+2 damage (razor sharp talons and beaks).

-Past midnight on the fourth day of my march I could see the outline of the forest in the moonlit night ahead. As I came closer, 6 black objects flew into the air from one of the treetops.

-I got out my macrobinoculars, turned on the nightvision and get a look. Looks like a swarm of giant eaglelike birds. This is a strange planet indeed.

-The birds circle for a while and I march further towards the forest. Suddenly they screech and divebomb towards me!

-Do I get my blaster carbine up quick enough? Dex roll: 9 total (6+3). Almost…

-I quickly bring my blaster carbine and fire three quick shots of deadly red bolts of light into the sky (6 damage total, 6 hp left). The bolts hit and three dead birds hit the ground as the other three come at my with razor sharp talons. I dive for cover into the grass but to late, they got me (5 damage, 6 hp left).

-I can feel the deep cut. It’s not over yet…I roll over onto my back, carbine at the ready, and shoot…(11 total, success, 4 damage, two more birds dead). I hit two more of them…the last one gains altitude and…

-A: makes another pass, 1d6
-B: flys back into it’s tree lair, 1d8

…dives at me once more. I dodge and shoot…(yes! natural 11, 14 total, 2 damage minimum so I kill it) and the last bird drops down dead.

-A: The blaster bolts going up into the air were witnessed by imperial patrols. 1d10
-B: I was lucky and it stays quiet. 1d6

-B wins 5 to 2, lucky me.

-After this unpleasant encounter I am again in not so good shape. I don’t have a medpac anymore, just the basic medical supplies in my survival gear to clean and staple the cuts.

-I decide to press onward until I reach the edge of the forest and find a secluded resting place for a makeshift camp.

To be continued…

A quick look behind the scenes: Here is the map of the mission area I created randomly. I just drew up some terrain section outlines and rolled 1d6 per section to determine the terrain in that section. Nothing special and works for the adventure just fine:

mission-map

I continue Corporal Selcam’s mission in a quick and rather calm session after falling uncounscious, thanks to some lucky rolls…
-Do I recover quickly? Con roll to recover: 3, failure

-A: I recover after a while on my own. 1d6
-B: I recover after a while on my own but imperial troops are in the immediate vicinity. 1d8
-C: I fail to recover and are eventually killed by dangerous wildlife. 1d4

-B wins but only 3 vs. 2 against option C. Lucky me.

-I don’t know how much time has passed but my vision returns slowly. My mouth is dry, it is dark, nighttime, everything is blurry. My body hurts like crazy. I am in bad shape.

-I get out my medpac and tend to my wounds. Painkillers, desinfectant, syntheflesh and bacta patch later I don’t feel so bad anymore (remove wounded condition, regain 1d6 hp: 3, so back to 3 hp, use up medpac).

-I just finished my treatment as I hear the familiar sound of repulsor engines coming close at high velocity. I quickly check my surroundings. Two small lights are approaching very fast from north-west, in that direction lies the imperial installation. I need to hide quickly, they were headed towards my camp.

-I quickly hide in the underbrush, my blaster carbine ready. Wisdom roll, 2d6+3 because of my camo gear: 9+3=12. Success.

-Just in time as two speeder bikes piloted by scout troopers come to a stop at my former campsite. The scout troopers dismount, draw their blasters and check the area. I can hear their mechanical sounding voices through their helmet speakers.

-“Sensors picked up some strange readings here. Let’s sweep the area.”

-The troopers take a closer look around.

-A: They discover tracks and signs of combat. 1d10
-B: They don’t find anything. 1d6

-Lucky me: B wins 6 to 2. I wasn’t cheating. I never cheat while playing solo.

“Come on, there is nothing here. Nobody on this desolate place except us. And that night vision visor gives me a headache. Let’s head back to base.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right. Let’s head back.”

-The scout troopers mount their bikes and leave. I exhale deeply. That was a close call. But since they will report this area as clear it should be safe to stay here for now and I need rest. I watch them disappear and then set-up my camp again. This time I make a makeshift resting place in a treetop using the camo netting in my survival backpack.

-I rest for two more days. I had enough concentrated rations for two weeks but not enough water packs. After these two days I need to find water but there should be plenty available once I reach the swamp. My gear includes water filters and a fusion powered kettle to boil it.

-Regenerate 2d6 hitpoints: 9 hp, back to 12 hp total.

-After those two days I feel as good as new. Those bacta patches and syntheflesh are good stuff.

-I continue towards the swamp very early in the morning, before the sun rises.

-50% chance of something happening (1-3 on d6): 6, nothing happens

-In the late afternoon I reach the edge of the swamp. According to the rough map I have if I follow the borderline of the swamp up north it will lead me to a forest area in which the target installation is located.

-However, I needed to refill my water supply. I ventured a little deeper into the swamp to find some suitable puddles or small ponds. The water in there didn’t look to well, but I had a water purifying canteen and a kettle. In only a few minutes the canteen purified the water and to be absolutely sure I also boiled the water for 15 minutes.

-I use this necessary break as a resting opportunity. According to my chronometer it was around 17:00 hours. I decide to rest for 6 hours and continue my march under the cover of darkness.

-A: A squad of swamptroopers are conducting maneuvers in the area. 1d6
-B: I encounter dangerous swamp wildlife. 1d8
-C: I step onto treacherous terrain. 1d6

-Option B wins, this is a wilderness after all…pick three random story cubes for inspiration: Alright, it is a shadowy creature that has the ability to blind it’s victims and also is rather tanky, meaning tough hide: The telbargian shadowsnake is born…

To be continued…

My recon mission with Corporal Selcam continues and things are looking grim…

-According to my map I had about a day’s march ahead of me until I reach the swamp. I was awake all night and grew tired. I decide to get a few more kilometers between me and the scanning post and then find a suitable and hidden resting place in a small pocket of woodland.

-A: I find a secluded resting place and take a quiet rest. 1d8
-B: I find a secluded resting place but it is already occupied by dangerous wildlife. 1d6

-B wins 5 to 3: Up ahead I spot a small area of woodland, maybe about a dozen trees or so standing close together. It fits the bill, carefully I move closer.

-A dangerous predator, a telbargian tigerlizard, is lurking in the grassland. It is the size of a tiger and has the anatomy and agility of a tiger but the needlesharp teeth and tough scaly hide of a lizard, as well as razor sharp claws. It has spotted Cane and is about to make it’s move. Stats: 10 hp, armor 1, 1d6+1 damage with claws and bite

-Does Cane notice it? Wisdom roll: 2d6+2: 8 total.

-Wait, what was that? Movement? I slowly raise my blaster carbine…as suddenly a terrifying creature charges forward out of the grass and jumps, aiming right for my throat. I barely manage to dodge out of the way, one of its claws slashes me (reduced damage of 1d3, 3 great) and cuts into my arm (12 hp left).

-The adrenalin blocks out the pain. The creature charges again, I fire three quick bursts with my blaster carbine…(Dex roll: 2d6+3: 10 total, yes!)

-The blaster bolt hits the creature (1d6+1 damage, 7 total -1 armor, 6 damage, 4 hp left). It hisses in pain and presses the attack, now in a killing frenzy. It charges at me.

-I fire two more shots while moving sideways and backwards…(2d6+Dex: 10 total again, lucky me, 4 damage after armor)

-One shot goes wide but the other one hits the creature dead center in mid-air. With a final painful roar it hits the ground, lifeless.

-I now have time to look at my wound. A deep cut.

-A: The creatures claws where coated with some sort of poison. 1d4
-B: It is just a deep cut that needs cleaning and sewing. 1d8

-A wins 4 to 1: Damn!

-I suddenly feel dizzy. Something is not right here…a disturbing thought enters my head…I quickly examine the claws of the dead creature. Just as I feared, they are coated with some sort of clear substance.

-I have to act quickly before I pass out…(Con roll: 13 total, lucky me). I fight the poison, gritting my teeth. Quickly I get out my survival gear. It includes an universal antidote in an auto-injection tube. I stick the tube into my thigh, with a hiss it injects the antidote.

-A: It works. 1d10
-B: It doesn’t work. 1d6

-A wins 6 to 1: Thank the maker, I can feel the antidote working. The dizzyness gets better. I still have to treat the wound. I get the skin stapler out of my medkit. This is going to hurt a little…I quickly staple the cut together and clean it with a desinfectant before I put a bacta patch over it.

-This should do for now. Exhausted I finally reach the trees and set-up a secluded camp. I get out a field ration and some beef jerky, as well as water and settle in for the rest of the day. I will continue my march towards the installation after sundown.

-A: nothing happens during the night. 1d8
-B: I once again encounter dangerous wildlife. 1d10
-C: Imperial troops are in the area. 1d6

-B wins: use RPGsolo.com as random idea generator to determine creature using MAG: Wisdom roll to see if I notice the creature: 9 total, barely missed a total success.

-I set a timer to wake me up after 6 hours and dozed off. I fell asleep pretty quick. Even though the timer didn’t go off yet I woke up after a while. I don’t know…was that a noise? A hiss maybe? I look around. What the hell!

-Clinging to a branch above me was a vicious looking creature. The size of a dog but with a more lizardlike anatomy. It was furry but it’s back was made up of bony spikes like those of a hedgehoc and it had a tail that split into two tails. One end ended in a bony sawblade, the other one had a scorpion-like sting. It hissed. It’s spikes were standing up…

-Out of instinct I rolled to the side, not one second to late as the creature unleashed two spikes that were shooting out of it’s back, however, one spike still got me. (1d6 damage, 3 damage, 9 hp left). After the spike attack it drops to the ground. Creature stats: 8 hp, no armor, 1d6 damage with spikes, 1d6+1 with tail ends.

-I ignore the pain and get on my feet, drawing my vibroblade in the process. As the creatures tail lashes forward I dodge to the side and slash at the tail with my razorsharp blade. (Dex roll: yes, natural 11, 14 total, but only three damage, creature down to 5).

-The creature hisses as I cut of the sting of one of it’s tail ends. I lunge forward and make another attack. (Dex roll: Ups, natural two, 5 total, complete failure, ouch)

-I stumble and fail to catch my fall. I drop prone on the ground. The creatures bony sawblade slashes viciously over my back. (3 damage, 6 hp left for Cane).

-I manage to roll around just in time as the creature lunges forward. I thrust upwards with my vibroblade…(Dex roll: rolled three, six total, another failure) but missed the creature. It is now on top of me, I can smell it’s foul breath, and buries it’s teeth in my shoulder (1d6 damage, lucky me, only 1 damage, 5 hp left).

-This was probably my last chance: I mobilize all my strength and attempt to thrust the vibroblade into the creature while hoping to push it off me to the side. Strength roll: rolled 5, 6 total, another failure, come on…

-But before I could land a blow the creature took another bite. (4 damage, 1 hp left…).

-Desperately I pull out my survival knife from my belt. It is smaller and easier to use in close-quarter combat. I was running out of options fast. I thrust it into the side of the creature…(Str roll: rolled 6, 7 total, at least a success, but with a price…and I deal only two damage, creature at 3 hp)

-I can feel the blade enter the belly of the beast. It howls and rolls over to the side, but while doing so it rips out a chunk of flesh out of my arm…I scream as I have never screamed before…(since I will suffer at least one point of damage I now have the wounded condition, meaning I get -3 to all rolls according to the Streets of Mos Eisley rules)

-Time to see if fate might save me: Since the creature is also severely wounded with a cut-off tail end and a knife in it’s belly I imagine the scene as a standoff: Creature and human stare at each other, wounded, circling…waiting for a move.

-A: The creature retreats. 1d6
-B: The creature attacks again. 1d6

-B wins, 4 to 3: The creature is in a killing frenzy now. It jumps…I try to bring my blaster pistol up in time and shoot (Dex roll with -3 penalty: Yes, natural 11, 8 total, partial success…3 damage, enough to kill the creature, but it was only a partial success…).

-As the creature falls to the ground it’s getting dark around me as I pass out…

To be continued…

After Cal completed his assignment I take another short break from Edge of the Empire to take advantage of the pros of solo rpging and that is the freedom to try out different systems.

On my list of systems to try is the Apocalypse World engine, which uses 2d6+modifiers as task resolution and is more on the narrative side. I got interested in it because of this Star Wars hack for it:

https://sentientgames.wordpress.com/2012/12/28/star-worlds/

I used the basic engine but tinkered with it a little:

I use the classic six ability scores that can range from +0 to +3 at character creation and I don’t use classes or special abilities. Just skills which work as described in the hack. I generated my scores by rolling 1d6 six times and assigning the results, using this table:

1: +0

2-3: +1

4-5: +2

6: +3

Hitpoints are equal to 12 + Constitution. I get to pick three skills and used the Pathfinder Unchained consolidated skill list for options.

I decided to combine this test with another test and that is a test or better, tryout, of the Miso RPG which helps a solo player create interesting stories.

It was cooked up by Sophia Brandt, who is a member of the G+ Lone Wolf Roleplaying community.

Check it out here:

http://dieheart.net/miso-v1/

So far, I like how the story unfolds. This time, a lone wilderness fighter embarks on a scouting mission for the alliance:

Character:

Corporal Cane Selcam, Rebel SpecForce Wilderness Fighter
Str +1
Dex +3
Con +3
Int +2
Wis +2
Cha +1

Skills: Athletics, Stealth, Survival

HP: 15, Armor: 0

Gear:
backpack with survival gear, survival combat knife, electrobinoculars with nightvision and high resolution camera, datapad, comlink, medpac, camo clothing and cloak (+1 to stealth rolls in outdoor woodland/jungle/grassland environments)
blaster pistol (1d6 damage)
blaster carbine (1d6+1 damage)
combat vibroblade (1d6+1 damage, melee)

Mission Briefing onboard the Mon Calamari Cruiser “Liberty”:

-An rebel probe has discovered an imperial installation on the forest and swamp covered planet Telbarg 3 in the Telbarg-System while searching for a suitable rebel base site.

-The installation is relatively small. It is unclear from the probe telemetry what exactly it’s purpose is. It could be a storage site, a research facility or even a prison.

-However, it might be a suitable target for a rebel raid to gain supplies, weapons and information.

-Therefore, first hand information is needed. The rebel leadership has decided to mount a one-man recon mission.

-Your mission, Corporal Selcam, is to scout out the base, take pictures, determine it’s purpose and the approximate size of the imperial presence on Telbarg 3 and get out without being noticed.

-You will be inserted via upper atmosphere high altitude drop with parachute and wing suit. A small shuttle will enter the atmosphere and drop you off. Once on the ground you have two weeks to accomplish your mission and you are to keep radio silence during that time. After two weeks we will extract you from the pick-up point. Don’t miss your appointment, otherwise be prepared to get comfortable on Telbarg 3.

-A rough map created by the probe will be provided to you in digital form and in paper.

-The mission will start in two days. Get your gear ready. Dismissed.

The mission begins:

-After the briefing I did as I was told: checked my weapons and gear, reviewed the map, made some mental planning exercised going through different “what if” scenarios. The next day I just relaxed, trained a little and enjoyed the ship’s recreational facilities.

-Time to leave: I pack my gear, board the shuttle and wait. Shortly before we enter the Telbarg system I put on my sealed wingsuit, check the parachute, put on my helmet and oxygen mask and wait for the drop off.

-The shuttle is shaking violently as we enter the atmosphere. Thruster power was reduced to minimum to cut down on emissions and keep a low sensor profile. It was a rough ride.

-10 seconds! I get into position…

-5 seconds! Here goes nothing…

-Go! Go! Go! May the force be with you! I jump…

-I race towards the ground at neckbreaking speed. All is dark, my helmet has nightvision and paints everything in an eerie green. As the atmosphere gets thicker I use my wing suit to decelerate a little. I have to be careful, need to slow down nice and easy.

-I use the suit to make some minor course corrections in order to land as close to the drop-in point as possible.

-Enter Miso RPG:
Option A: All goes smooth and I land at the drop-in coordinates. 1d10
Option B: Severe weather and storms make the landing difficult. I might land way off course or injure myself. 1d8
Option C: I land at the coordinates without difficulty, however, an imperial army detachment is currently conducting maneuvers in the area, possibly spotting me. 1d6

-Option A wins, 7 to 6 to 2: I am lucky for once. The weather stays calm, it doesn’t seem like my insertion was noticed and I land smoothly at the coordinates.

-I immediately look for a good hiding place for the parachute, helmet and wing suit and hide it in a thick thorny bush. The area around the drop-in point is mostly grassland with knee high grass and small pockets of tiny woodland, made up only of a few trees.

-I get out my binoculars, turn on the night vision, and look around to get an idea of my surroundings.

-A: I don’t see anything noteworthy. 1d6
-B: Something catches my interest. 1d6

-B: Wait, whats that?…(random idea generator: two randomly drawn story cubes: house, arrows pointing circular in all directions)

-I spot something, I focus the binoculars…it looks like some kind of bowl or dish…connected to a small building…damn! An imperial scanning post! That’s a sensor dish. If they have spotted me this mission is over bevor it begins.

-A: They indeed picked up something and send somebody to investigate. 1d6
-B: All stays quiet. 1d10

-B wins 9 to 5: I keep the scanning post in my sights and hold my breath. I wait…nothing. No activity increase. No repulsor engine hum in the air. I think they missed me.

-But I need all the information I can get on this post, so I sneak up closer. I hide in the grass about 150 meters away from the scanning post, get out my binoculars again, activate it’s high resolution camera and take a few pictures of the installation. So far no activity. I will hold this position until dawn and see if they have some kind of morning routine.

-A: In the morning, a patrol exits the scanning post. 1d8
-B: All stays calm. 1d10.
-C: I encounter some dangerous wildlife. 1d6

-B wins: It is cold and I can feel my limbs stiffen, but I endure and hold out until well after sunrise. Nothing. No activity at the post. Maybe this post is on an automated scanning cycle and not even staffed? So far no troop movement, no vehicle activity.

-I leave my position and head west, towards a large swampy area. There I should have enough cover for my march towards the main imperial installation…

To be continued…

Finally Cal manages to complete his assignment and hands over the datacard, collects his reward, and gets his ship back in shape. Not without further difficulties, of course…:

Session Log:

-Create destiny pool for the session: 1 dark side destiny

-So I am followed, three guys, two humans and one scaly alien. Two will probably cut me off in the front any moment now while the third one, the alien, will close in from behind.

-Time to act first and fast…

-Roll initiative! Cal uses Cool, the thugs Vigilance: Cal scores two successes vs. one success from the thugs.

-The combat starts at short range and is run on scrap paper.

-I get the jump on them and draw my blaster, set it to stun while bringing it up and fire a quick shot towards the scaly alien behind me. It is never good to be surrounded. The bolt hits him or her, hard to tell, and it goes down, limbs numb.

-The other goons were clearly surprised, but not surprised enough, and return fire, their blasters set for stun as well. I guess in an imperial controled city like Tamesh Prime nobody wants to face a murder charge after all. My reflexes kick in as I dive for cover (Dodge talent), causing the shots to go wide.

-I quickly return fire and hit one of the guys in the shoulder, however, that was enough to overload his nervous system and he goes down.

-The remaining guy however was obviously a better shot. I grit my teeth as a jolt of pain runs through my body, causing my left arm to go numb. A stun bolt hit me and even my padded and armored jacket could not fully absorb the impact. Another one of those hits and I am out cold. (Down to 6 strain)

-Can’t let that happen, I take aim and fire…direct hit in the chest. The last of them goes down.

-No time to stick around! No doubt somebody already called in the stormtroopers. My arm is still numb, dangling useless from my shoulder. I disappear into an alley and take a few erratic turns.

-I take a different route to the meeting point.

-Stormtrooper patrols on the way? 65%: 24, Yes.

-Damn! A group of four stormtroopers has set-up a checkpoint ahead, almost directly in front of the cantian were I am supposed to meet my employer. Better try to get in through the back door. I don’t know if they got my description.

-Different route available? hard streetwise check: failure, everything canceled (successes, threat, advantages)

-The streets are crawling with stormtroopers after our little mid-day shoot-out. There is no way to get to the meeting point.

-I call my contact and explain the situation. I need to reschedule at a different location. Do they agree? 80%, 23, Yes.

-”Looks like we got no choice if we want the data. We meet tomorrow at the Watering Hole Cantina in the spacer’s section.”

-Alright, so now I have to get back to my ship somehow and wait it out.

-Can Cal get to the ship without being spotted? hard streetwise check: Success with two threat.

-I manage to leave the immediate vicinity of the shoot-out. The streets are safer here. However, shortly before I reach my docking bay I am approached by some street scum. They claim I have been passing through “their” territory and demand a “passage fee”. I could have probably taken them out, however, I was hot enough already and I didn’t need any more trouble. I was able to buy my way out with 500 credits. (Now 5540 total)

-Finally at the docking bay I lock the doors, secure the hatches and get some desperately needed sleep.

-As I wake up the next day the numbness in my arm is gone. I get ready for the meeting.

-I head for the Watering Hole Cantina, it is not very far from my docking bay.

-Encounter on the way? 1-4 on d10: 9, no, lucky me.

-I finally reach the Watering Hole Cantina and meet with my employer, the guy called Mese Resa.

-Always give yourself a chance to fail: Does he try a double cross? However, I assign very unlikely odds. He needs the card and has a reputation to keep, but you never know: 1 in 6 chance of double cross…roll 1d6 and…I rolled a 1, great! So now it gets interesting…

-”Can I see the card?”

-”Money first” I reply.

-Of course…Resa puts credchips on the table with a total worth of 2000 credits. That is 2500 less than what was agreed upon (Flashback: Cal was hired for 5000 and got 500 up front as described in session 6).

-”Your math is off.” My hand comes to rest on the hilt of my blaster.

-”Oh, but it is not. See, your little shoot-out got the imperials all stirred up. I had to wait another day after I already assured my employer that I would obtain the card yesterday. See, a lot of things had to be changed around, excuses needed to be made…yadda yadda yadda, the usual, long story short: Hand over the card, take the credits and be happy that you can leave.” He wasn’t joking.

-”Well, lucky me then, because I didn’t bring the original card with me.” I gave him my best grin.

-Hard Deceit check: Yes! Success with a triumph but two threat.

-Apparently he wasn’t expecting that. His facial expression betrayed him. He needed the card desperately and he needed it now. He was staring at me with ice cold eyes, you could literaly hear him thinking is options through. Of course I knew he had backup here somewhere nearby…

-Without another word he reached into his other pocket and put another 2000 credits on the table. Still 500 short, but he did have a point, I know the business. I am not risking my neck for 500 more.

-We made the exchange and I slipped the money into my pocket and handed him the card. “Don’t worry, it’s the real deal. I fooled you.” (9540 total)

-He left, shortly afterwards three more patrons left, probably his backup. Time for me to leave as well.

-As I was about to leave, two stormtroopers enter the cantina (the two threat from my check) and start checking the patrons and asking questions.

-Try to sneak out the back door: moderate Stealth check: of course a failure, but three advantages.

-The stormtroopers notice me: “Hey you, stay there…”

-Time to do the dance again: Hard Deceit check, because of the three advantages I get to add a boost die. Lucky me, success, all threat canceled.

-Thanks to my quick wit and quicker tongue I convince them, that I was not the guy they were looking for.

-Back in my ship, I call up starport services to get a maintenance crew to do some needed repairs: Restore 12 points of hull for 500 credits each: 6000 credits (now 3540 total, ship is at 20 hull from 22 total and has all strain removed), repairs will take 6 days.

-Get 15 XP for the adventure, now at 19 XP. Purchase two ranks in Skullduggery for 15 XP, 4 XP left.

After my shared sci-fi game is finished I am continuing my Edge of the Empire solo campaign with intrepid smuggler Cal Ozan.

When we left him, he was lucky to hitch a ride on a Gthroc transport after he got separated from his ship while exploring a derelict vessel which was adrift in order to retrieve a datacard.

Now, with the datacard and a ride back to his ship it seems like he is back in business…

Again, a handwritten session report.

session-10-part-1session-10-part-2

#sharedscifi

I finished my shared sci-fi game today. A quick summary for those of you who have trouble reading my handwriting:

Deckart heads to the autmated motel where Thein has booked a room, at least according to Lowrider’s information. Since it is all automated Deckart has no trouble getting in by booking a room as well at the check-in machine.

He sneaks through the hallways until he reaches Thein’s room, listens and forces the door open with his crowbar.

However, Thein has set up a mobile monofilament dart trap which wounds Deckart and wakes up Thein, who immediatly reaches for a hold-out blaster hidden underneath his pillow.

A shoot-out follows in which Deckart suffers another small wound but manages to stun Thein.

Taking Thein with him and luckily with no corporate types showing up he contacts his contact in an alley to inform them of his success.

imag3255imag3256ap3

#sharedscifi

The hunt for Thein continues over the holidays in handwritten form. I hope you have no trouble reading and following along…

For those of you who have trouble reading my handwriting, here is a quick summary:

After the corporate encounter Deckart decides to re-negotiate his fee and the organization agrees to pay 25% more. Deckart then proceeds to buy some needed equipment: A crowbar, some wireless recording bugs and two gps-tracking devices. After another failed attempt to break into Thein’s appartement, even with crowbar, he then went to the entertainment district and tries to increase his funds at a poker table, bluffing his way to victory with moderate success.

After a little legwork Deckart finally manages to make contact with an underworld slicer called “Lowrider” and hires him to dig up information on his quarry.

Lowrider manages to dig up two pieces of information: The name and location of a known associate and more importantly a lead to Thein’s current whereabouts.

Thein booked a room in an automated motel in a run-down industrial district and Deckart heads over there in the middle of the night…

imag3251imag3252session-report-part-3

#sharedscifi

Merry christmas dear readers!

After everybody in the family went to bed I enjoyed a quiet hour for myself on christmas eve and played another session of my Microlite20 shared sci-fi game. I played it old school style: A pen, scrap paper, real dice, a character sheet. I actually enjoy this way of playing a lot. It really gives me that gamey feeling, the physical process of handling the sheets, throwing the dice etc.

Anyhow, I thought I do something different for a change and just post my actual unedited raw session report in it’s ugly but authentic form as a picture. I am to lazy to write it up and I think it gives you another behind the curtain look into the way I do my solo gaming.

So, I hope you can read my handwriting and let your imagination run wild while following my story along. I picked up after I lost the trail of the anti-grav car, thinking about how I could locate it again.

For the encounter in the diner at the end of the session I didn’t use an oracle to determine the opposition since the provided hook for the shared sci-fi game, which I decided to use, already stated that a corporation would be the or one form of opposition.

actual-play-report

#sharedscifi

I continue Clive Deckarts hunt for the elusive Thein in my third installment of my shared sci-fi solo game. Another quick session, which was played at work during my lunch break on a piece of paper with a pen and dice roller app on my phone.

I later did the write-up. The action during the session took place mostly in my head, I just jotted down the GM Emulator questions and the result and a few one liners to sketch the scene.

Here is the after action report:

Let’s determine some more facts:

Does Deckart see them together in the lobby (50/50)? Yes.

Do they leave together (25%)? Yes.

After a short while the guy I trailed appeared in the lobby. He was accompanied by someone else…it was Thein! They were heading towards the exit of the holotheater.

I quickly dash over to the corner to get eyes on them as soon as they appear on the street.

Do they leave by vehicle (1-3) or on foot (4-6)? Per vehicle, damn!

Can Deckart get a Taxi quick enough to follow (50/50)? No.

Is there anyone next to a vehicle in the immediate vicinity who has just opened the door (20%)? No.

It looks like they are heading for a vehicle. A parked anti-grav car. Damn! I was on foot. I quickly need to find a vehicle to pursue them or they will be gone. I signal for a taxi but thanks to Murphy’s Law no cab was available at the moment.

I also didn’t see anybody next to a car at an open door or someone about to enter a car. Alright then, they have already sat down in their car…I needed to “borrow” a car then.

I stepped up to a parked anti-grav car and drew my blaster discretely. Without further thought I blasted the door lock from point-blank range, opened the door, got in and tried to shortcircuit the car to get it started.

Int + Technology (1d20+2) vs. DC 15: 20, success!

Thanks to some street skills I picked up during my career it was no problem to get the car started, even without the keys. I had to act quickly now.

Is his quarry still in sight (50/50)? Yes! Lucky me.

I was lucky, they were stopped by a traffic light about 50 meters ahead. I quickly pulled out of the parking space and established pursuit. Now I had to trail them in without being seen but I also had no backup and couldn’t afford to lose them. Not an easy task, especially if you are not familiar with the area.

Skill check: Int + Subterfuge (1d20+5) vs. DC 15 to trail them in the car: 9, failure, damn!

After about two more blocks I lost them at an intersection. I stayed to far behind and when I got to the intersection, there was no sign of them. Damn! I had to chose one out of three possible routes. I took a right…

Did Deckart chose the right route (5-6 on d6)? No, he didn’t…